How many parents allow your helper to use the home computer?

How many parents allow your helper to use the home computer? Do you allow them to email or chat with their family and friends back home?

26 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

As my husband and I are both in IT, and tend to have more equipment at home than people, we've given our helper an old laptop and an old ipad. She is free to use it for personal use after the kids are in bed. We've talked about safety and security quite a bit. She's used it to take an online course in design, and to keep in touch with family. We keep a shared google calendar of kids events and who needs to fetch what kid where and when. That's also shared with my parents. I forward her emails that come from school, detailing kids homework and tests - as she supervises their homework on most days. She also helps them skype with me if they need help with their homework, she isn't able to assist (mandarin homework), and I know I'll be home late. She uses the ipad etc to look up recipes and other things that are useful for the household. Overall its been a real plus having her tech enabled.

Read more