How long do u all normally take to pump? I always take abt 1 hr includes 30 mins pumping and hand expressing cos my pump cannot empty my breast ~ is it normal ??

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I used to spend that much time as you in the past. However as time goes by then I learnt that by massaging before and during pumping I can be assured that my breasts are well emptied. However, if my breasts are engorged, I would have to pump out first (cos it's the fastest) then I proceed with hand express. I will not have much yield though. The other contributing factor to emptying the breasts effectively is to invest in a good breast pump. I have tried Medela Swing, Ardo Calypso, M1 and S1. S1 is very efficient in emptying my breasts then M1, followed by Ardo then Medela swing. However, I am also aware that there are some who does not share the same experience as me with regards to the breast pumps.

Read more
8y ago

How long are you into postpartum? If you are having frequent clogs, suggest you look into the bra you are wearing i.e. Too tight or not enough support to bring your breasts up. You may try drinking warm water or taking a warm shower and aim the water at the side of your breasts nearer to your armpit, or warm compress while pumping. Try if this works for you. You may also want to consider looking for alternatives like trying a different breasts pump, pumping at more regular timing or tak