How do I know it's time to stop breastfeeding?

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It's a personal choice. Breastfeeding is a relationship that's forged between the Mother and Child. So unless either party wants out, the breastfeeding relationship will continue. But having said that, if it's getting burdensome such that it's affecting your sanity or health, stopping is an option for consideration. At the end of the day, Happy Mummy = Happy Baby

Read more

Breast milk changes throughout the lactation period to suit the baby's growth & development. WHO and HPB, Singapore recommend exclusive breastfeeding for all babies for the first 6 months and continued breastfeeding with complementary foods thereafter until 2years and beyond. If u r a working mom, based on ur convenience, u may stop after 6months.

Read more

If you don't enjoy it anymore, that's probably a sign to stop. I know alot of moms continue to breastfeed because they feel they should (and I applaud them for it), but if you're not enjoying your time breastfeeding anymore, I reckon it will do no good for either yourself or baby.

I would say that it is a personal choice. Quite a number of my friends hopes to continue till the baby shows signs that he/she wants to wean off the breast. Some stopped because work caught up with them and it is not easy to continue while having to balance work and home.

When you get a feeling that it is high time you should stop breastfeeding the child, you should stop. Also, when you see your kid is taking proper solid diet and getting all the nutrients from food, milk and fruits he is consuming, it is time to wean off.

if really make you feel you cant make it your work and feeding balance. i think is the time to stop, cos breast feed is a happy thing to do for baby if cant handle both is ok to stop.

VIP Member

When you don't enjoy or when you get tired with it. Or when children grow up with teeth biting on nipples. But it still up to personal choice

in most cases your baby will give you a clue and eat more of other foods and such. also, you will notice a reduction in your supply.

Self weaning is better than forcing it, unless there is a reason behind it..

for me it's when my child no longer wants it. otherwise I'll bf all the way.