My baby is 21 months now and still do breastfeeding. I want to stop breastfeeding now. Please suggest your views how to stop it.

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, Begin slowly. Slowly tapering off how often you breastfeed and how long, over the period of few weeks will gradually make your milk supply less. And if you experience engorgement, then you can apply cold compresses or can even pump out the milk. Generally kids want to latch at night the most for comfort feeding, so what you can do is, firstly try not feeding him during the day and even if he does, just tell him that it is just going to be for a minute and since he is 21 months old, he would understand that you do not want him to latch. Also, do not feed him whenever he requests. When he asks for your feed, try to distract him by playing with him, feeding him something else, getting him colours to scribble on a notebook, etc. See, it is not a one-day thing as you know, also that breastfeeding is not just a physical process, and you have an emotional connect with your child through it, and so does the child. So, do not right away refuse feed to him and let it happen gradually. But, yes, you got to be a little strict in not offering him whenever he demands your milk, as then he would know that he can have his way. Also, because he is 21 months old, you can cook a story for him that his teeth will come out if he will continue feeding. This is how my girl left my feed. You can also tell that it hurts mamma when he feeds. Babies have tender hearts and since they care for their mothers, he will start latching as less or atleast for a lesser time than before. And eventually, he will completely wean off. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/infant-and-toddler-health/in-depth/weaning/art-20048440

Read more
8y ago

Welcome, dear.

i had to stop my elder one when she was about 26 months, as i had developed infection. be prepared to experience a lot of crying, especially if your baby is too attached to breastfeeding. start by reducing the number of times you feed. you can distract your baby and gradually lower the amount of time for which you are feeding. this will help your body to cut down on the production of milk, as milk is produced the more your baby suckles. you can pump out the milk so that even when your baby starts to feed, there will barely be any milk left. you can then give him some other food or milk. show him how he can have milk in a cute cup like a grown up and switch him to other milk.

Read more
VIP Member

you can try making baby drink from sippy cup and make sure that baby is full before the usual feeding session. with my baby, i slowly decreased our feeding sessions and increased milk in bottle/sippy cup. i also give baby to our nanny to make her sleep because nap time is when she usually looks for the boob.

Read more

My wife is pregnant and still have a baby of 9months old. Can she stop breastfeeding her?

VIP Member

Use baby bottle like chicco, pigeon with wide neck bottle.