Exhausted

How do you get used to waking up every 2 hours to feed your newborn and not feel so tired? It's the 3rd week but I am still feeling exhausted. I try to sleep as much as possible when my baby is sleeping but I am unable to do so all the time since time is taken up to eat, wait for the food to be digested, boil herbal water for shower etc. I do understand that it is unlikely that breastfeeding mothers get to even sleep straight 4 to 6hours for at least the first 6 months or so and we also need to pump to prevent engorgement or blocked duct... 😰

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

it's really difficult, I feel your pain. my husband and I tried to take shifts to care for the baby during the night. e.g. husband goes to bed as early as possible, around 7pm. I have dinner at 7pm, feed the baby around 7.30pm, then baby and I go to bed. husband takes care of baby when she wakes up around 10.30pm. then I wake up for the next one around 1am. this way at least we both try to get some uninterrupted sleep. "try"

Read more
3y ago

oh that sounds like a good arrangement. Will this still be carried on after the first month? I'm wondering how to manage when my husband goes back to work. 😅 How do you train your baby to sleep and get up at the same time every day?

VIP Member

Is there anyone who can help you? Like your husband or get a confinement nanny or helper for this time being given that you are still in your confinement period. For my case I have my husband and mum to help so during the day I will either breastfeed or pump then during the night I will pump but my husband or my mum will feed my baby with formula.

Read more
3y ago

Thanks for your reply, Priscilla! We didn't engage any helper nor confinement lady so I told my husband to sleep at night since he has to take care of our older one and help out during the day. My baby latches and somehow seeks to the breasts for final drink before he falls asleep. 😅 Is your baby getting used to either breastfeed or bottle-feed? I am just wondering if I only bottle feed him during the night, will he be alright to latch on again?