Infant care queries?

Hihi. My LO is attending infant next week. I’m hoping to give EBM to the Teachers. But at times my LO will not be able to finish all the milk in one go. Can I check, what will the Teachers usually do? Or is giving formula milk easier for the infant care Teachers? I’m worried about them throwing my BM away. As I am already struggling as I do not have much BM to start with. Have been mix feeding since birth due to Low supply. So all that EBM are Super precious. Please help! I need advise! Thanks

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi mummy, I'd suggest you speak to the teacher about it prior to sending your LO to the centre because every centre is different. And some have facilities to specially support breastfeeding mums. Perhaps next week, give formula milk first, then speak to the teachers. Because if your LO can't finish the BM, the teachers can't do anything about it too.

Read more
VIP Member

Usually they will dump the milk 1 hour after heating up whether they finishes it or not. Since ebm is very precious, best is to just give them formula. When my son started ifc, he wanted to be rebellious and didnt want to drink milk, even up till now. Packets and packets of ebm all end up in the drain 😅

Read more

For infant care school, they usually use the same formula unless you see that your LO is having some allergies reaction like diarrhoea if not you should just leave your BM for home feeding than giving to the teacher.

5y ago

Thank u so much. I’m just worried she will end up drinking very little BM. cause she usually drinks 500ml BM and 200 FM.

VIP Member

Hi... Best to keep BM for home feeding. We’re advised by nursing nurses to throw away unconsumed BM as it’ll be ‘contaminated’. Let LO drink formula milk whilst at infant care and BM at home

5y ago

Thank u so much. I’m just worried she will end up drinking very little BM. cause she usually drinks 500ml BM and 200ml FM.

VIP Member

Hey mummy! I think it'll also be best for you to check with the school too, because some centres can be really strict about handling breast milk in fear of the risk of contamination :)

If you LO can't finish and the milk is over one hour I guess the teacher will throw away