Hi Pinoy moms! What's your take on 'bigkis'? My sister just gave birth recently and uses bigkis on her little one. I didn't use it on my baby and preferred following the umbilical cord care my OB provided. It's quite difficult to insist that when you're surrounded by oldies who prefer this traditional method. I guess that's another reason why my sister just gave in to what they told her. How would you tell them that bigkis isn't really necessary?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

I have the same situation. I was just lucky that my mother-in-law, who's a firm believer of using bigkis, was with us when the pedia was explaining that it is not necessary and can actually cause harm to the baby. It became easier for us since it came from the doctor and we need not explain why we aren't using it.

Magbasa pa

Actually my OB also says that there's no need for a bigkis, but when my baby has been experiencing bloating, my mother-in-law insisted that I put bigkis. Actually I can't tell if it worked, but no harm done when I placed one. So it's up to you. :)

8y ago

Glad your LO is comfortable with it. Some babies are quite irritable with the bigkis

As per the doctors, hindi na nga daw ginagamitan dapat ng bigkis to let the navel breathe well para gumaling agad. So kami hindi na din talaga gumamit kahit naginsist mom ko kasi yun ang kinasanayan nya.

We didn't use bigkis for the 2 babies anymore. It was explained to us by the doctor and nurse that there's no need to use it. The wound doesn't need to be covered so it can heal easily.