Hi Mummies, are there any interesting books that you will recommend that I can read to my 18months old? I want to train her to read and recognize words but the books I got for her doesn't seem to get her attention.

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

For young babies, flip and flap books are more engaging, you can find this type of books in national library under baby books section. When baby is young the main purposes of reading to them are create bonding between parent and kid and nurture reading interests since young. Whether they can recognise words and read or not is not important before age of 5-6 years old. If you want to train your baby to read and recognise words, there is a book called How to Teach Your Baby to Read by Glenn Doman, where flash cards method is used. However, using flash cards to learn how to read got its problem too as the kid might develop dylexia and can't read new words through sound blendings. Once your child is 4 years old, you can start to teach Phonics to guide her/him to read phoenetically.

Read more