Hi can anyone share their experience in a episiotomy? How is it like?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Your gynae will perform episiotomy cut during the peak of contractions. You won't be feeling any pain during the cut because the pain of contraction is more painful than the cut. During the stitching, gynae will inject to numb the area and you won't be feeling any pain too. During the recovery period, gynae will prescribe normal and strong type of painkiller and it's up to you to take or not. If you feel the pain is unbearable, you can choose to take. If you do not wish to have episiotomy, do communicate with your gynae in your birth plan during 3rd trimester and remind the gynae during the delivery day itself. Some gynaes believed episiotomy (clean cut) is better because it can prevent bad tearing. Gynae will give you antiseptic wash to wash each time after you pee to ensure no infection of the wound area. Do keep clean of the wound area. From my experience, I had episiotomy (4cm cut) during 1st delivery and tore naturally (with 2 stitches) during 2nd delivery. I felt more pain and took longer time to heal with episiotomy. However, for no.2 I can walk immediately after delivery and when pee I don't feel as painful as during the first delivery. For my no.3, I would definitely choose to tear naturally.

Read more
VIP Member

I almost had an episiotomy. I was on laughing gas and in my dazed state, heard the MO talking about making the cut. I told them repeatedly "don't cut it". I tore naturally with a first degree tear and had minimal stitches. I didn't need any painkillers and could walk immediately after. If I had been cut, I would most definitely need painkillers as there would have been more stitches. Do try to avoid it unless absolutely necessary. There is a higher risk of complications and it takes longer to heal as well, unless you tore naturally with a severe tear. Severe tears are not too common, so don't worry! http://pregnant.sg/articles/how-can-i-avoid-an-episiotomy/

Read more
Post reply image

thanks