Will you give your maid the wifi password? Why and why not?

18 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Before I give anything, I will access her character first. Is she the type that will be hooked on her phone, or is she the responsible type that will only use her phone after work hours. For myself, my helper was not allowed handphone when she first arrived. After 10 months, I find she is responsible and will not abuse the usage, so I leave a mobile for her to use on fri, sat and sunday to video call and message her family. Maybe for a start you can restrict her usage to certain hours? I was told the router can set specific timing and device for wifi to be enabled. You can explore that - maybe restrict her wifi at the start from 8-11pm or something.

Read more

Yes Because we also need contact her Because she also needs to be connected Because she’s also human Because she also needs to contact her family Because her family also needs to contact her Because your employers also give u wifi at work and not make u use ur own data when working But Set expectations, rules etc with her Alternatively you can create a “guest” account for her if u are afraid to reveal password If any abuse U can always reset your wifi password and then key on her phone

Read more

Yes my helper has access to our Wifi but I typed in the password for her. They are still humans and I think they should have the freedom to connect with their family and friends. But it’s also important to set ground rules and expectations on usage of phones during “work hours”. So long as their phones are not a distraction especially while looking after kids or cooking or housework, i believe it’s fine.

Read more

Yes I give by helping her type in. I also tell her that she should only use her phone at night during her break times when she don't need to care for baby. She is actually very thankful as she says most of her friends don't have WiFi. I believe if u treat her well she will reciprocate. But if she misuse n does not change after warning I will not hesitate to change the pw.

Read more

No, I will not. If they have unlimited access, they might glued to their hp. My maid has a hp, using her own data card, they need to pay, they will control their usage. U don't want them to use till very late at night (if got wifi) and get very tired the next day too.

VIP Member

No i will not. Once i give, they will take for granted on the free wifi. I will get them to buy their own data card and use at their own control. So they will know that things aren't free. They have to work and learn to control their usage

No i will not however i will allow her to use only after her working hours. This is to prevent any abusive usage during working hours. If it is not there, there will be no temptation to use the phone unnecessarily.

VIP Member

I type in password for her instead, cause now covid period i bet she also worried about her family at home. But she doesnt always use her phone and usually use at night near bedtime

No I will not. Young people are obsessed with being connected. Once you give them the wifi password, they will use every moment that you are away to use their hand phone.

Super Mum

Nope. If I’m letting her use the wifi, I’d key in the password for her the first time, and keep the network connected