My FDW has asked for Wifi password. I am not comfortable giving it as she is already on the phone all day long - I work full time, so hard to limit phone time). She has internet through her phone. What do you all do?

14 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

No wifi for her as yet, until I deem that she's able to handle the extra perks without much reminders when she's handling basic chores. She's been with us for about 5months, however certain things still need alot of improvement in terms of completing basic tasks at hand. Once she improves, will give her access to wifi, but phone to be left in a common area during the day, night time she can use it - I have no problem with that. Currently whenever I feel that she have done well, She is given a TOP up card and I do encourage her to call her family .. Also told her that in case of emergency if family can't reach her on her mobile, can always call my phone .

Read more

I use my phone when I am at work. As long as I get my job done and correctly prioritise work over answering a non urgent Facebook posts, for example, my boss has no concerns. Treat your employee with the same respect that you wish to be treated with. If she's not getting her job done because she's on the phone all of the time, speak to her like an adult, the same way that you would like your boss to speak to you should your work be deemed to be suffering.

Read more

We used to only let her use her phone for a few hours afterwork at night (as advised by agent), and then slowly let her keep her phone and now also gave her the wifi password, willingly. We keyed in the password for her and told her that we will change the password if she neglects her work. So far, she exercises the discipline of no phone while at work.

Read more

Since she already has internet through her phone, it does not really make a difference whether she has Wi-Fi or not. I guess trust and mutual communication is the way to go - trusting that she will fulfil her responsibilities as a worker and yourself communicating and reminding her what your expectations of her responsibilities and work ethics are.

Read more

I read there's a way to limit usage by reassigning a sub IP address to her. My friend did that and I thought that's a good idea to reward the faith in her. However, she already uses the phone whole day. I'd think constantly chat with her to suss out what are her reasons to be on the internet whole day, before giving her wifi access.

Read more
8y ago

That's a great idea! Thanks!

I told my helper that no using of phone during working hours. Give her a list of things to do everyday. Get her to finish all of them then can rest & use phone. If anything not complete, told her to redo it right away. Be strict first. After that then be more nicer to her. I learnt the hard way.

8y ago

My old helper just left, cause i sent her away. I did post about her on my FB because my old helper was horrible to the maximum. Stole my things, coffee, knife, a lot more! New helper only here with me for 1 month plus.

VIP Member

If that is the case, I feel that you should not give her WIFI password. If you give her, you have to be prepared that she will be on the phone and internet the whole day long. That is not something I think will be good.

I asked my helper for her phone and key in the password for her . Told her she can Facebook her family when she feels home sick . So far this 1 year plus everything is good . She uses after my kids went to bed .

Read more

My FDW requested as well but i didn't give cause she was already on the phone when she is free. If she has access I don't she has time to do the chores. Unless your FDW is very disciplined then you can consider.

8y ago

Just tell her cannot or if you don't want to be the bad person, tell her normally Sir won't allow, but will help you ask. Then just say Sir don't allow.

I advise not to give as it would mean unlimited Internet access for her. By letting them pay for their own Internet, it would restrict their usage & not interfere with their work.