3.5 months suddenly flipped body to the left

Ftm here. My 3.5months after coming back from ifc, we placed him on his changing mat on the bed, on his back, suddenly he rolled/flipped his whole body to his left and on to his tummy, however as his neck is still not strong, he’s not able to lift it to “tummy time” position. Do i let him be for a few minutes before turning his body back to the back position or just let him be ? And yes he’ll be highly supervised infront of us. Does this mean that he’ll learn to flip to tummy soon? Or not necessarily

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

hello! my baby rareeeeely did tummy time last time as we moved to our own home and i didn't have time to attend or put her in her tummy time position. at 3 months, she naturally started to roll over and from then on wanted to do her own tummy time no matter how much i flipped her back. eventually she was able to lift her head. p/s before that happened, i placed my nursing pillow under her for her own tummy time (which happens....rarely cuz of the unpacking etc.) and also tummy time on my chest.

Read more

congrats! that's a good sign! yeah I think can let him stay there and train his neck strength a bit more. tummy time can lengthen over time so gradually your baby can lift his head up a few more seconds, a few more minutes.... :)

Well thats a good sign. Monitor and then flip baby back after awhile. Baby trying to strengthen the neck muscle. So no worries. My #2 did her own flipping 3/4 months.

We let our baby girl be, under supervision. Our rule of thumb is if that action is done by the baby so naturally it should be safe.