Is ok or not ok for baby to sleep on tummy

Hi all. I'm a new dad here. My baby is 4 months 16 days old. 2 weeks ago he start to roll onto his tummy while he is in deep sleep. My wife and I have read online and it is strongly not recommended. He is currently able to roll onto his tummy on his own and able to lift his head firmly on his own. He is still not able to roll back onto his back. So we have been taking shifts to watch over him at night. Flipping him back to his back whenever he flips to his tummy. I personally hate this as it pains me to disrupt his sleep and sometimes he will whine and feels uncomfortable when he is not allow to sleep on his tummy. Need some help here. #firstbaby #1stTimeDad #tummysleeping

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

I’d like to share - my babies have all loved sleeping on their tummies. We ensure their safety by ensuring their crib is bare. I know experts say that they should sleep on their backs to prevent SIDS and I am prob a bad parent in many eyes. The research is there to prevent anything from happening to baby - but it was a risk I was willing to take. You don’t have long to go daddy, keep it up…you and mama are doing an amazing job by being the best parents and keeping the bubs safe.

Read more
Super Mum

My girl does this too when she’s 4mo old. Able to roll on tummy and lift head, but unable to roll back . There was once I wake up to her sleeping on her tummy, but she’s sleeping on her side face (ie: cheek) & i was relieved. I too wait for her to fall asleep before I go to slp to ensure she fall asleep on her back instead of tummy. (Ie: flip her to back whenever she turn on tummy) . So I can go to slp without worrying

Read more

My baby sleeps on tummy as well, i just let her be. I remove all things even blanket. Take note of her sleeping pattern during day time, e.g. does she tilt her head a little bit when sleeping on tummy. I personally think that baby will wriggle herself to be able to breathe.. of course time to time will check on her a bit

Read more

i think all babies love lying on their tummy. its really normal, even our mother's time. but if u are worried, can swaddle your baby and slowly train. they cry as that is the only way to express. nevertheless my daughter slept on my husband chest every single day like super glue. not my chest but my husband's 🤣

Read more

My baby sleep on tummy since newborn! Yes it’s not recommended because SIDS but my baby is healthy and alive! Just let your baby be…. I didn’t even bother to wake up and check on my baby once cause she’ll cry if she needs me and sleep right beside me so…

along as bed is free of loose cloth and bare...bedsheets is also not the loose kind...normally I will place her facing up in the crib and after which she will just facing down and I will let her be..

Thank you all for the advice. Now we let him sleep on tummy and just keep monitoring. His neck is much more stronger now and he knows how to flip back.

put bolsters on both side to prevent baby from rolling over. its dangerous cause if baby sleeping and rolled over it can be very dangerous.

As long as you don't put him down face-down first it's OK. If he flips by himself just leave him be. Should be able to flip over soon.