For ladies who have delivered - what's the first 24 hours after you deliver in the hospital like?

31 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

After reading the other comments, I'm one of the lucky ones! My son was born at 7.57pm at 39 weeks gestation, and well - he basically decided to come out by a week earlier BUT he decided he needed to catch up on sleep. He spent a little while with me after I settled down in the room, then the nurse brought him back to the nursery because he fell asleep after trying to latch. The nurses were great in updating on him, but he just wanted his milk (formula at that time since my milk didn't come in yet) and he slept :x I stayed in a 2-bedded air-conditioned ward so it was pretty comfortable for me, was exhausted but texting my friends before I took some rest. The other mummy came in at around 10+pm, and she was with her baby the whole night - latching and crying, I kinda felt like she was so awesome for doing all these - but also thankful that my son gave me time to rest hehe. The nurses brought him over at regular intervals to try to latch and spend time together, but he was always sleepy - when he came awake, he'll fall asleep in my arms XD I ended up just telling the nurse to keep him in the nursery instead of wasting their energy, and bring him to me if there were any issues haha. My only visitors were my parents because my friends were in school and I told them not to visit until we give the green light - my most vivid memory was feeling embarrassed and sorry that the nurses had to help me with peeing in bed, and then subsequently the horror of trying to get down of bed and learning how to wash the vaginal wound x_x

Read more

First 24 hours was exhausting but can't zz well. You will be rather tired and weak the first 4 hrs and if you took epidural you might be very numb in the lower limbs. Nurses keep coming in and out and will bring baby to you every 3 hours for breastfeeding. Your wound would also start to hurt once the epidural wears off. Do take your painkillers regularly before the pain comes. You will feel cramps and that will last for a few days esp when breasrfeeding. Your doc and nurse will press the abdominal area to check the size of the uterus every time they do their rounds to make sure my uterus is shrinking. After around 12 hours, they will remove your urine bag/cathether. The first urine is painful, (spray water whilst u urine to lessen the pain). Do also request for the epi kool pad. That will be a life saver! Expect frequent change of sanitary pads and a lot of lochia!

Read more

C section experience -12 midnight check in - sleep until 5am - 6am wake up for prep- nurse shave down there and I shower - wheeled to operating theatre - Gynae and anaestatist arrive .. administer anaesthetic , start op - hubby allowed in 10 mins into the op (I didn't even know op started) - v soon, baby out after gynae tugs at my tummy a few times (quite painful :( ) - baby is cleaned - take photo with baby - hubby go out of room, baby also taken out - I'm stitched back and wheeled to another room ... feel v cold due to side effects... given warm blanket... rest there around 45 mins... wheeled back to room - baby wheeled in 30 mins later - nurse give baby to me for latching... - frenzy of family visitors soon after (which I dislike!!!!!! Hello? I just had major surgery... they come in like it's a party)

Read more

My first hour was skin2skin contact with my son before they took him to the nursery for the necessary tests. I waited for about 4hours in the delivery ward as B2+ was full. By the 4th hour, they said they would bum me up to A2 if it's still full but alas, I got B2+ anyways. The next hours were tiring. Baby was co-sleeping with me so that meant breastfeeding every 1 to 2 hours. I also had caterer, but they took it off before evening (I gave birth at 630am). I was tired, sleepy and a few times I told the nurses to bottle feed my son because I couldn't take it anymore. The nurses at KK hospital are quite persistant about breastfeeding so it gets tiring.

Read more

The first 24 hours is quite overwhelming as you will feel exhausted after delivered your baby and feel excited at the same time to hold your newborn in your arms. After delivery, you will also deal with the wound pain and learn to breastfeed. You will need to latch your baby every 3-4 hourly. Also, during your hospital stay, you will get to attend nursery classes such as how to bath and swaddle baby etc. There might be relatives and friends who come to visit you in the hospital too.

Read more
VIP Member

The first hour at least, involves total skin to skin contact with your new baby. After that, we were wheeled to the ward and that's where close family members and friends can start to visit. The baby was by my side almost 24/7 even at night. Nurses came by to teach the baby how to latch on. She went for injections. I watched videos on how to latch and bathe the baby. You won't actually get to rest much in the first 24 hours.

Read more

i had c section 10am baby1 came out 10:26 baby2 came out 10:29, the whole operation i was awake, i could even hear everything that was happening even when my babies cry for the first time it make me teary eyed. after the operation i feel sleepy and slept a bit woke up when they put my babies to latch for the 1st time. then they transfer me to our private room and i fell asleep.

Read more

i had both c-sec deliveries so i was very drowsy, but i remember the nurse bringing in my baby each time for feeding. it was a little uncomfortable initially, as i was not able to understand everything in the first few hours after delivery. but by the end of the first 24 hours i was coming out of the dizziness and getting more alert.

Read more

Delivered 3 weeks ago to my 2nd child. Baby was with me even at night. Nurse gave me a chart n pen. To chart down time baby drinks milk and pee/poo. I was having contraction mensus like pain at night which was so painful.. asked nurse for painkiller. Slept well afterwards but hate the excessive bleeding downunder.

Read more
VIP Member

Very tiring and drowsy for the first few hours of delivery. Mostly having rest and meals. In between nurse would bring baby in for latch-on. For night-time till the next morning, My hubby requested for formula feeding to baby so that I can have a good rest throughout the night. :)