Teaching two languages

Hi first time mom here, was wondering what’s a good and effective approach to teaching two languages at home? My bub is 10 mos old, and I’m his main caretaker. Thank you for sharing your experiences:)

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi! One of the way is to have each parent as a “master” of one language. By this, it means that a parent can be speaking in one language all the time. This is so that the child can go to this parent should he/she needs to ask / tell something in that language and will be exposed to hearing the different words in that language. Also, to avoid confusion and build on familiarity too. :)

Read more
Super Mum

It’s been challenging for us because we primarily speak English at home. So mother tongue becomes a problem. Really need to make an effort to speak in your non dominant language and introduce books in both langauges

I would say teach one language at a time. Can start with mother tongue because many kids can’t speak their mother tongue well. English not really a problem because they’ll ultimately use English in school and outside

2y ago

I AGREED TOTALLY! Im using the same approach too :)

For a start each parent only speak one language to the child..