Labour & Epidural

First time mom here. How do you deal with the thoughts of labor? I have been reading, watching birth vlogs - not sure if I will every be ready? Can you share with me your labor stories? My husband do not want me to take epidural if possible and go all natural. But i'm not sure how is the pain going to be like.

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You will have to be ready when the time comes. Doctor and nurses will guide you during the delivery process. And every delivery is different so I wish you a safe & smooth delivery. I was like you 1 year ago. Husband told me not to take epidural as it might affect baby and me. I heard about the recovery from epidural was not good for some moms. And was adviced by friends that natural delivery will recover faster and better for the woman. My pain threshold is low. I never thought I could do it without epidural. I read books on natural delivery to know more about the process and to prepare myself. I did squats and stretching daily as it will help with the delivery. I walked alot during pregnancy as form of exercise. I asked other mom's about their labour experience and how they did it naturally. I feel more scared after hearing it. One friend's encouragement is that God made woman to go through labour process. Our body is already made to function this way so God will deliver us through this labour. I always remind myself this and it gives me a little more courage. I was induced as my blood pressure was too high. Good thing it happened during the last 1-2 weeks of pregnancy. Baby is full term already. After doctor broke the water bag, the contractions came on steadily. First was mild menstrual cramps then 6hrs later it was quite intense and interval was short. I couldn't take it and so I asked for epidural. In order to do so, I got to sign consent forms, do blood test etc. I can't remember as the pain was intense. So hubby asked if the anaesthetist could come and explain to us. It took some time for the explanation to be done and after blood test result is out, I could proceed to take epidural. So nurse checked my dilation. It was 9cm already. I don't need to take epidural. Just 1cm more to go. Nurse offered me to try laughing gas for some pain relief. I was hesitant as I didn't know how to use it. She guided me with it. Inhale gas before the contractions come on strong, stop when pain is gone. If you feel high/giddy, stop inhaling for the next contraction. Bear with the pain. The pain now at 9cm dilation is severe menstrual cramps that have very close intervals and the urge to poop. You will have to hold the urge to force out "poop" while waiting for dilation to reach 10cm. Once it is fully dilated then you could start to push. Whenever you feel the urge to "poop", it is the time to take a deep breath and push for 10s. Rest. Repeat again until you see your precious baby! You did it! Well done mummy! Baby finally get to see you and daddy! As for the episiotomy, I could feel the cut but the pain was bearable. Local anaesthesia will be given during stitching. For mine I had a deeper tear and it was hard to give local anaesthesia so I had to use the laughing gas to help with the pain when stitching. You can do it with natural birth! And you WILL! Jia you!

Read more