Do you get seats on public transport?

Hi fellow mums, I’m in 18 weeks+, there’s slight baby bump but still not obvious.. while on public transport, I’m ok to stand for short distance travel. However, when need to take long distances, change bus and MRT, it’s start to get alittle tired. And my back is starting to hurt recently, headache at times too.. we can’t always take grab/taxi also, it’s too expensive.. what’s your experiences? Do you really go up to the person and ask them to offer seat to u?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I dont really ask for a seat. However, if my bump is obvious Ill definitely get seat. While I do get people telling me off to give seat but once I stand up, it is obvious I get the seat more right? 😂 I do offer seat to kids or elderly if I am dropping next station or short distance. I have also stand for pretty long till someone notice that I need a seat because I am pregnant. Knowing the culture, the people of public transport it is obvious that not 100% people would offer seat, people would rush for seat, people would give up their seat. So far I had no bad experience except one but I brush it off. I do get some people pretty scared to ask if I am pregnant because it can be offending if you are not and just fat? Get what I mean? Some commuters do get scolded for this sensitive question.

Read more

i'm experiencing the same here, i'm at 19 weeks now. i think my bump is big enough to tell that i'm pregnant but still not given a seat. seems that most of the commuters in the mrt are either always onto their phones or sleeping. i was introduced by a friend recently about the "May I have a seat" initiative. it comes in a sticker form or a card. you can obtain it at any MRT Passenger Service counter and its free of charge. i told the staff of my situation that i'm pregnant and its hard for me to get a seat. i was given this card and a lanyard. you just have to wear this over whenever you're taking the train / bus. hopefully this helps you and other mummies out there.

Read more
Post reply image

Hi mummy, I am also 18+ weeks. People rarely give up their seat to me although my belly is quite large already. 90% of the time, people just look at their phones only. Even if I stand in front of them and rub my belly, they will avoid looking at me. No choice but to stand lor 🥲 at this point, I’m just very grateful to the 10% of will give up their seats for me.

Read more

Experienced some nice people that will give up their seat in trains but mostly those at priority seats will be busy using their phones or pretend to sleep. Those at priority seats are mostly not in the category that needed those seats. We should learn from other countries whereby nobody should sit at priority seats except those in the category.

Read more

This true! even if you stand in front of them, they will just look at their phone and pretend to sleep. But there are some who will offer the sear especially the older ones. There was a time that I really feld bad that a seniot citizen uncle was the one who offered me a seat 🥺