Travelling with baby on public transport

Hi mums, how do you travel alone with your babies on public transport? In the below scenarios, would it be better to use a baby carrier (baby-wearing) or bring a pram? I don’t know how easy is it to lift baby out of the pram, carry him/her while collapsing the pram into a folded state and lugging it into the public transport or vehicle. 1) On the bus/MRT. Would baby wearing be more convenient than lugging a pram around by myself? 2) On private hire cars such as Grab. Is it necessary to book a car with a baby seat? Because I’m also worried about how clean the baby seat will be, on a private hire vehicle. Possible to baby-wear on the ride? Also what is the feasibility of carrying baby while collapsing the pram and storing it in the car boot by myself? First time mum here, and my bundle of joy hasn’t arrived yet, so I’m just trying to anticipate the logistics of bringing him/her out by myself, and noting what I need to buy, pram, baby-wearing carriers etc. Thank you!

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

1) If I’m alone, I would always go for baby wear if I take public transport because I know I cannot handle and I don’t wanna risk dropping the pram or myself with baby. If I really need the stroller, I will go for taxis. 2) Yes, for all PHV it is compulsory to book/bring your own car seat, even baby wear no exception. Only taxis allows you to go without car seat (although not advised to) legally. Most of the time, drivers are actually quite nice and helpful, if they see you alone with baby and pram, they will help you with it. For those whole didn’t (haven’t encountered any), just ask them nicely if they could help and I’m sure they would be more than willing to :) Conclusion, I still prefer baby wearing if taking public transport alone. 😊

Read more
8mo ago

Thanks for the help!

I think when baby is in the newborn stage, can use baby carrier instead as collapsing the stroller would be a problem especially if you are carrying a lot of things and lifting the stroller up and down may not be good for your recovering body. As for private hires, even with booster rides, they do not provide baby seats for less than a year old. Have to bring ur own. So best to download the comfort delgro app to ease booking taxis instead as they do not require baby seats. Suggest to wait for newborn to be out before deciding whether to get a stroller so early. I ended up not using the stroller (baby is around 3-4 weeks old now) as it is very troublesome and heavy.

Read more
8mo ago

Thanks for the help!