Is water necessary for newborns till 6 months old?

facing conflicting advices about the giving small amounts of water to babies. some saying that water is needed so that the mouth will not be dry etc. not sure if google advice is accurate that water will harm babies so consulted PD and she mentioned that milk is sufficient. 🤷🏻‍♀️

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
TapFluencer

it really on your comfort level. my pd is one did not mention no water to me. even said that small amount it's ok. this is to rinse the mouth and incase phlegm. I bf my baby since nb till now almost 22 months. I have water all the water. it really depend on individual comfort level.

Just went for a hospital maternity tour and the nurse shared that water must not be given to babies at all during the first six months. We have also read alot about this, and will definitely not feed our baby water until after six months.

if dont need to give and it’s dangerous for newborns to drink water. Then why must bother whether want to give or not? just dont give? but then its your baby, you want to be so gungho to test on your baby.. its your choice.

No water until baby is 6 mths and above. Have you heard of news that baby died after feeding with water? Yes, it does happen! Breastmilk is sufficient and it also contains water so baby does not need more water.

Milk is sufficient esp breastmilk since it is mostly water. Babies are actually smart enough to know if they're thirsty or hungry so, just feed on demand if you're breastfeeding.

Breastmilk is sufficient. Water is needed only after 6months and when baby start solid they must drink water. Newborn doesn’t need water.

VIP Member

No water until after 6 months or when lo starts eating solids i.e. could be around 5 months upon PD’s green light

no water is necessary below 6 months, especially if bfing since it's mainly water anyway