Do's and Don'ts During Postpartum

🌟 Exciting News! Calling all expectant parents & new parents! 🌟 📣 I'm Stacy Chow, the Founder of Baby Express, and I'm thrilled to share that I'll be conducting an#AskTheExpert session on a topic that's close to every new parent's heart. 📣 Topic: "Do's and Don'ts During Postpartum." 🗓️ Date: 30th August 2023 | Wednesday 🕒 Time: 8pm to 9pm ✨ Whether you're a first-time parent or adding to your growing family, the postpartum phase comes with its unique set of challenges and joys. From caring for your baby's needs to prioritizing your own well-being, there's so much to learn and discover. That's why this session is very important for you! Leave your burning questions and concerns below this post, and I'll address them during the Q&A. 🗣️💬 Warm regards, Stacy Chow Founder of Baby Express Lactation Consultant & Post-Partum Doula

Do's and Don'ts During Postpartum
38 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
8mo ago

Postpartum massage is generally safe and may also help mothers get back into shape. However I saw from the link that there is a mention of back pain. If so, it would be good to seek advice from a medical practitioner instead. Postpartum massage normally focuses on the womb area.

Question from Mekayyla: What kind of exercises are advisable/recommended, 1.5 months into postpartum? https://community.theasianparent.com/q/im-15-month-postpartum-what-kind-exercises-advisablerecommended/47180

Thank you everyone. I hope I have managed to answer most of your questions. If you would like to clarify further, do drop me an email at [email protected] and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

I'm at day 12 postpartum and have been pumping 15 to 20 ml of breastmilk each pumping session. Most of the breastmilk come from one breast, while only very little comes from the other breast. Is this normal?

8mo ago

Pumping different amounts from both breast is common and normal. Usually the breast that pumps out lesser milk is referred as the 'lazy boob'. What you should be concern with is if your breast is cleared after pumping.

Question from Evelyn: After C-Section, when can we start wearing postpartum binder? https://community.theasianparent.com/q/after-csect-when-start-wearing-postpartum-binder/1589360

8mo ago

Generally, binders can we worn after birth as they may also provide support for your incision.

Ive been drinking wine for 5-6 years. I had stopped it during pregnancy. Now that I’ve given birth to a baby boy, can I start drinking it again?

8mo ago

After giving birth, there is generally no restrictions with food. However as your diet for the last 9 months had changed, you may want to slowly ease back to your normal diet.

My marriage is in a rut from the past couple of months. Will stress or emotional strain have any impact on my breastfeeding journey?

8mo ago

Sorry that you are in this situation. Stress and strains may impact your breastfeeding journey by causing a decrease in your yield. You may want to consider getting help from a marriage counsellor or speak to your friends/family about it. I hope things will turn out well for your marriage.

Are there differences of the do’s and don’ts for confinement meals when comes to natural births vc c sections?

8mo ago

Confinement meals are normally the same for both types of delivery. However some mothers may avoid or minimise the consumption of seafood as it may cause an allergy reaction; itch, at the wound area.

Are there specific activities or movements that new mothers should avoid to prevent strain or injury?

8mo ago

For natural birth, there is generally nothing to avoid. however it is good to start with low-impact exercises and go slow with yourself. Unless c-sect, you may need to avoid strenuous exercise involving your core to avoid stressing your incision. It would be good to check in with your doctor at about 6-8 weeks postpartum for a greenlight to go ahead with core exercises.

What are the potential risks of overexertion during postpartum, and how much exercise is advisable?

8mo ago

You may want to go easy at the start and slowly get back into your routine. Your stamina level may not be as good as before birth, so just allow yourself a bit more time to get back to before. However if you did a c-sect, you would need to take note of the type of exercises to avoid causing over stressing the incision area.