Amount of milk to feed for new born

Hello everyone, I would like to know what are the amount of breast milk / formula I have to give? At the hospital, my son was given 30ml. Back home the formula tin shows 0 - 2 weeks, each feed should be 90ml Please advice, TIA!

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

If you look at the formula tin, the amount pee feed depends on the number of feeds per day. For each feed, I calculate by: the baby's weight x 150ml ÷ number of feeds. Baby's weight x 150ml is the least your baby needs per day. I asked my pd, and he said the calculation can be up to maximum of 210ml. First week for my baby at 3.1kg was: 3.1 × 150 ÷ 8 = 58ml So she was drinking at least 60ml every 3 hourly. She drank more frequently on certain days, but it was fine as long total per day was under 650ml (3.1 x 210).

Read more
TapFluencer

follow according to your baby. in hospital my baby was given 40ml initially. they increase 10ml by 10ml. when I got home baby is drinking 90ml by end of 1 month she's drinking 120ml. you add bit by bit to see if baby can finish. not follow the tin. different baby different intake.

Would suggest to follow baby’s cues. Some babies are different. Also some may take different volume at each feeding. However for mine, I think at two weeks, he was drinking 60-90 every 2 hours

Don’t stress! Listen to your baby. There’s no hard and fast rule as to how much a baby needs. All those written on the tin are just guidelines.

https://sg.theasianparent.com/2-week-old-baby-development - refer baby tracker . you can find details for every months

To know the amount you can get 150 * bb weight/8 you will get the amount bb required