buying from taobao

does any of the moms here shops from taobao for baby stuff? i have heard alot of the mixed reviews about buying things from China.

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I used to, but I just turned to local secondhand items (eg. clothes) instead. Like what others have shared, look into the sellers who have many quantity sold and many reviews, but look out for reviews that have actual comments instead of just stars! Check on the item condition in the photos too. I wouldn't use Taobao for big/bulky items like furniture or playmats because the accumulated weight for shipping cost might just make it not worthwhile (you could probably get it cheaper in Singapore). Of course, you also wouldn't want anything that you don't want to risk getting damaged/lost/delayed. Things like nice packaging, fragile items, time-sensitive gifts, short expiry etc. I also wouldn't get too "personal" items that can't be washed regularly, things like food products, baby toys that can't be cleaned etc - just to be on the safe side. While most things are made in China nowadays, not all of them are safe. Even if they are, the way Taobao handles their shipments aren't exactly sanitary (I always make sure to open it in the balcony, discard the packaging and wash my hands immediately after).

Read more

i do, but i'll read the reviews of the products first. cannot be lazy on this. although some of the reviews may be fake, there are real reviews too. and i'll make sure the product has lots of reviews and comments. and if you're planning to get bulky items, more cost effective to get ezbuy prime.

VIP Member

me. need to read the reviews and see the photos. sometimes they will give useful signs that the seller isnt trustworthy. But i did managed to purchased some quality products that i loved. baby clothes hanger, pj, socks... 👍🏼

difficult for me to follow all chinese language in taobao. i use qoo10 more often since its singapore based and english oriented. but for any ecommerce site, stick to good reviews, number of reviews as good pointers

Super Mum

I did! Must read the reviews before buying. There is always risk when buying things online. Prefer the sellers from tmall.. More reliable as compared to taobao.

VIP Member

I bought mostly household stuffs from taobao cause it’s reasonably priced. Never tried baby stuffs...

Have to read reviews but best is to have a good tb expert friend to help! Haha

VIP Member

Me. Need to review of the seller before buying.

5y ago

meaning if reviews are good then is safe?