Probiotics supplements for baby?

Does anyone give their baby Probiotics daily as a supplement? Please share your experience - does it help with constipation & colic?

18 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Thanks all, actually PD had prescribed before when baby had constipation at 3mths old. She is now 7mths old but recently her poo seems harder than usual and I found out from my friend she had been giving her 5mth old daily supplement of Probiotics to aid healthy digestive system, hence my question.

VIP Member

Yes, I give it daily as a supplement. It was prescribed by a PD and the idea is to introduce good bacteria into the baby’s gut. It helped with my LO’s constipation and gas. I am not sure about colic though but a non-gassy baby is a happy baby!

Most studies on infants and probiotics point to the safety of their use in healthy infants. However, there is still a lack of significant research on probiotics and infants. You should consult your doctor before using them.

Probiotics may help add good bacteria to an infant's stomach more quickly Yogurt is a great source of probiotics. You can feed yogurt to your baby around 4 to 6 months as they start eating solids.

VIP Member

My PD prescribed probiotics when my baby have constipation. Honestly helps a bit. At least her stool isn't hard as before though she only poop once a day.

VIP Member

Hi... your child is very young. Please don’t self medicate. Consult PD before you introduce any kinds of supplement to your child

I don't think you need to give your baby probiotics, unless they were on antibiotics and the doctor recommended it.

VIP Member

I guess can give curd than supplements.. even curd have probiotics .. n it helps in digestion nly I heard

VIP Member

You can get it from the pd, also he will advise if it's necessary. We were prescribed BioGaia

yes help with constipation, don't know about colic though