Dear Parents, Need your valuable suggestion - I want to buy a playpen / crib for my baby aged 10 months. what would be the best size should I prefer ensuring that it would be useful at least for 4 years. Where can I buy it at a reasonable price? Appreciate your suggestions!

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I'd recommend NOT to get a playpen or crib, because these are unlikely to last for that long. By 10 months old, your child would have already more or less outgrown the playpen because while it is tall - they are able to use the mesh netting at the sides to support their feet and attempt to climb out of the playpen! For wooden cots/cribs, it largely depends on the weight limit and structure because they will also be able to climb out on their own by 18 months or so. If possible, getting a floor mattress or mat would be a better long-term choice because it can last for way longer without worrying about your child climbing out or falling down :)

Read more
VIP Member

If you intend to use long, those that can convert to toddler bed is a better choice. Buy a bigger one, so baby have more space to flip and roll. My girl have been using her big baby cot till now, almost 3 years old. We use it to co-sleep with us. We took away 1 of the fence because she keep trying to climb to her cot, if not scream to come out. What we scare is someday she will injured herself when she try to go to her bed, hence we took away 1 fence. Anyway, personally i feel playpen and cot work the same way. Something like this for your reference. (This is last year promo.)

Read more
Post reply image

I feel Playpen is useful only at an earlier stage. It can be doubled up as their cot as well as to put them in while we cook etc. my children outgrew it when they were 16 months. They started to climb out which was v dangerous. As for crib or cot, do consider those which can transform into a toddler bed even after baby outgrew. I bought my playpen fr Puku n cot fr IKEA. There are many baby fairs around and u shld get a good bargain at the fairs.

Read more

Do consider getting a playpen would be better, as can use for a longer period of time. I bought my boy's playpen from Carousell, 2nd hand. I think i buy from 2 different sellers, total up 26 pieces, $150+ only. Consider really cheap. I do have a big space for him to run around.

U may wan to consider playpen as is easy to keep in storeroom if baby not using anymore.. Graco Pack And Play On The Go is good.. Babyfair or online selling ard $150+

Get a wooden cot! I have a cot which my 2yo & 5yo sometimes sleeps in it. It's good as a toddler bed too.

VIP Member

You can consider those multiple pattern wooden cots it can be used as a toddler bed as the kid gets older

Thanks Teresa for your reply. May I check with you what is the price range of IKEA beds and their dimensions?

7y ago

Hi Jarrons and co have cot quite cheap. Cot like 200+ which can be turn into toddler bed. Free mattress also if u want better mattress have to topup.

i would recommend you to get a bumper mat instead of a play pen.