Toys with mirror

Dear mummies, What is wrong with allowing baby to play with toys with mirror attached to it. From what I know it is there to help with the baby development. Why is it that the old people have something against the mirror. How are they going to understand that these features are there for good purpose.

15 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hey, The reason could be the superstitions around mirror but I think that mirror plays significant role in the mental development of child as it develops curiosity in them. I would suggest that if your kid loves playing with toys having mirror, just let him be as it helps him learn as well

TapFluencer

Hi mummy sometimes they are not just myth. To me is since its good for baby I will follow. There are some unexplainable things that is so called myth. You will only believe it when it happen. It depend on individual whether you want to follow or not.

VIP Member

My LO is 5.5 months now, everyday after shower, myself and LO will look into the mirror and I talk to her. She is very happy . Cannot let baby look at mirror is old wives take bah. But what harm it does then im not sure.

It helps in a childs development. Our elders will always have a lot of myths that they will try to instill in our way of raising our child, dont let it get to you. Do whats right for the child :)

TapFluencer

My baby lovessssss looking at himself in the mirror and actually is more active during tummy time when he can see his reflection. The pros outweighs the cons. You decide for yourself.

VIP Member

My confinement nanny scolded me when I let my baby see herself at mirror. She said the baby will be scared by her own looks, though I think she looks curious rather than scared.

Super Mum

You're right, nothing wrong about it, it's good for baby's development. Old folks believe nin some myths about it. Just tell them we as parents know what's best for our kids.

4y ago

Thank you for agreeing with me. I definitely don’t believe in the non-scientific reasons that these old folks talk about. They always like to blame the baby crying on some myth. Baby can only cry isn’t it? It’s their way of communication. How can we restrict the baby from communicating with us!

VIP Member

What I heard is that babies remember their faces from their past life in the first few months and they will be shocked to see their new look.

Super Mum

Could be some superstition on mirrors. Just don't let your baby play with the mirror when they around

VIP Member

I not sure.. but I do let my baby look at the mirror when i hug him