My daughter nearing 5 years is distinguishably contrasting in her behaviour at school and at home. At school very obedient, quiet, sharing, cleanup toys after playing, soft spoken, etc versus at home not sharing almost everything with her 3 year old sister, snatching/ complaining if there is difference in size/quantity, beat the sibling at times, shrill screaming when try to discipline her, speak emotionally that daddy love only the younger kid even though she hurt the sister and the list goes on. We understand emotional attachment of kids to parents and the freedom of expression and behaviour with parents compared to outside-the-family/home environment, but what is worrying is though she was explained this is not an acceptable behaviour and parents love both equally as one does lover his or her own both eyes, she does that same time and again. We are worried this would lead her to grow an individual with split behaviour that could dent her confidence and difficulty in gelling in the society, and thereby hamper her personality /growth is there something else that as a parent we need to do before things go bad? Anybody has similar experience to share your thoughts here. TIA.

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

At 5 yo, she is rather expressive and I see that she is purposely doing all the naughty things to get your attention. She does the opposite coz her teachers love and praise her the way she does the right way. However, maybe she felt that if she does naughty ways, parents will scold her (in a way giving her the due attention). I will affirm and hug the child daily. When fighting or snatching occurs, dont interfere immediately unless there are foresee injuries. Sit both children down and ask them what is not right. My 5 yo also snatched things from her bro, 3 yo. I watched and then intervened by asking what was not right and what was good. Always affirm the children and then tell them whats not good and what parents would like to see next time. Ultimately, they just wanted us to love them. So everyday, we will kiss and hug them.

Read more

U know, at the end of the day, she's still 5, and thats really young. Things will get better as she grows older.