My daughter doesn’t want to bond with my new husband, she prefers to do things on her own and never really bother about us. What should I do so that she can be closed with my husband and me? She’s 24 anyway.

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Just let her be , never force her to do something she’s not comfortable with . 24 years old is already matured enough to have their own mindset and character . But I am really curious why do you want her to bond with your new husband ? Like is there any specific reason or that’s what you want from her ? To me it sounds like that’s what you want or maybe your new husband just don’t feel like he’s part of the family hence you are voicing out to people here for advise .

Read more
VIP Member

Huh 24? I'm 24 now with 2 kids . If I'm in ur daughter situation, I would prefer to do things on my own as well as I've alrdy grown up and have my own life, and I feel that I shldnt be bothering anything else that I'm not interested in. As u have all the rights to have ur own love life and ur daughter respect it but dosent mean she needs to get involve. U shld respect her decision too

Read more

Give her some time to adjust to the new change, even if that might take a while. Don't be too anxious to get her to bond with your new husband. Would be good if both you and your husband show support towards her (the little actions count), but give her space. You can suggest to include her in activities or dinners but don't force it upon her.

Read more
VIP Member

There's really nothing much you can so. Perhaps for younger kids you could still try and get them to bond with each other I'm sure your daughter has her own life too, Just let it be and let things happen naturally. You can however organise family lunches or dinners etc...

VIP Member

A tricky situation.. as she's already 24 and difficult to change her mindset. I guess your and your husband will need to put in more effort to bond with her, go for dinners, hols that sorta thing... good luck mommy!

TapFluencer

Give your daughter time to accept the situation. Family bonding cannot be forced specially since she is already 24. It might help if she understands that your new Husband will not be replacing her dad.

I think your new husband have to make effort to bond with your daughter. At 24 she's considered an adult and of course its hard for her to accept someone new in her family. Goodluck mommy.

24 is a hard age to bring around. Maybe family meals, or a family event (weekend away perhaps)? Do they have any common interests that can be played up?

She’s 24, she’s a grown adult. She can make her own decisions. Enjoy your marriage with your new Husband. She will come around if she wants to.

VIP Member

She's old enough to think, so let her naturally open up to your new husband. You can't force her. Plus she doesn't really bother both of you.