Cord blood banking. Isit really necessary?

Hi all, just curious about cord blood banking if is there anyone there who opt for this? Is there a fee to this if so roughly how much? TIA ?

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I didn’t sign as i feel the history in of both my hub and me line should be ok. Of course, if u want play safe, than u can save it, (of course choy choy, hope nothing to happen and don’t need to use.) however i think donate it, it’s better. I donate my son one. My girl i cant donate as i got dengue . To donate, you have to clear their assesment too before you are good to donate. As it’s i think 3-6k is not cheap. Can’t rmb how much.

Read more
VIP Member

i think it as a form of insurance. dont want to regret not taking the one and only opportunity during delivery 10 years down the road. if is just cord blood banking, can be covered by CDA. cord lining requires separate amount. recommend you to go talk to the agents who are usually available at various baby fairs to compare the prices, what is stored and research more into the companies to see which one you are more comfortable with.

Read more

The cord blood that we are storing for our baby today is a potential medical resource for the future, and does not require stringent matching as opposed to conventional bone marrow stem cell transplants. In comparison to other types of stem cells obtained from other sources, umbilical cord stem cells are able to grow healthy blood stem cells at a faster rate. It should be with 7k to 8k

Read more
VIP Member

Yes.. I stored with different companies for the 3 kids. To us, it's another form of insurance, though it's still a relatively new field. The fees range from 4K to 6+K depending whether you are storing cord blood only or with cord lining as well, and whether you are paying annually or upfront 10 or 21 years, and whether you are a returning customer.

Read more

Hi. There are certain advantages to cord blood banking, not just for your baby but also for the entire family. It is costly though - Anywhere between 4k to 6k. They store the cord blood for 20-25 years and deliver it when needed. The applications of Stem cell therapy are expanding, and who knows, what would that tech achieve in a few years!

Read more
VIP Member

Yes there’s a fee if you use private banks like stemcord, cordlife. You can visit their websites to find out more about the process. If you don’t wish to store with a private bank, you can donate to the Singapore cord blood bank. There are many parents who do that. https://www.scbb.com.sg/

VIP Member

Yes to me! I have 3 kids & 3 of them I signed up with Cordlife for 10 year plan. I paid around $3k for first payment/deposit, can be paid by baby bonus and yearly I pay around $250 (if I’m not wrong, around there) also from baby bonus for 10 years. Just want to stay safe! :)

VIP Member

If you're going to do it, then be prepared to set aside S$5,000 - S$7,500. You can try Singapore Cord Blood Bank, CordLife, StemLife, Cryoviva. But you can ease some burden by using your child's CDA account. Hope this helps!

I did! You never know what might happen to the kid and if anything happens, there's a chance of helping my kid in the future. Intending to do that for my second one.

VIP Member

Honestly it’s long term investment. If you think buying health insurance or life insurance is worth it and you have extra disposable income- there is no harm