A couple of years ago, I caught my son (then 5 years old) stealing from me. My husband and I talked to him about it and we thought the matter was resolved, but we recently found out that he has been stealing from one of his playmates. How should we address this?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

Its bit alarming , we all know that his still a minor and he need our guidance as parents . In that situation he really need you to be at his side , give him the best advise that you could give and let him understand that what he did was so wrong . While his still young dont tolerate that behaviour it should be stop. Its our job as parents to discipline our children specially in there wrong doing . I remember when I was a child my dad used to punish me like he will let me kneel with mongo bean or rock salt on the floor. Now a days punishments are not that welcome anymore since we have laws already on that , we can still discipline our child in other way not to harm them .

Magbasa pa

Just sharing. when I was a grade school student. I used to get money from my mom's wallet i think once and I get caught immediately. I also steal money from my classmates bag. I also steal a drawing book from a book store because I will give it as a present to my classmate. Back then, i wanted to buy food fo myself but i don't have any money. I wanted to buy some stuffs too. Maybe it's one of the reason. Give a little freedom to our little ones. Lets try to let them experience buy some little things for themselves such as buscuits. Let's not deprive them

Magbasa pa

Can you find out the reason why he did it? Some kids would take things and bring them home because they can't find their own stuff (due to lack of organization they would lose items or can't find them in their place) so they would get na lang what they can see from other kids' tables. Once you know the reason, you can start processing it with the kid about stealing and what it could lead to.

Magbasa pa

Try to be friendly to your son by calling him in a place where both of you can talk alone. Try to find out what was the thing he took from somebody and ask him why?From there you can find solution to the problem.Try to ask him if he can accept if others will take things from him without permission? Explain to him bad effects or the disadvantages of what he has done

Magbasa pa

ask him where he learned to steal.