Choosing between gel nails and acrylic nails - what’s your suggestion chick mums? :)

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Pros of Acrylic Nails If you break an acrylic nail you can almost always fix it yourself at home. The removal process is simple and straightforward when performed by a professional. The nails can be soaked rather than filed off. Acrylics are very strong. When done correctly and with proper nail care, they can last a long time and are very robust. Acrylic nail application tends to cost less than gel nail application. Cons of Acrylic Nails They can damage your nail bed, and according to White, this damage can create a breeding ground for fungus and bacteria. Acrylics may look less natural than gel nails, especially if applied incorrectly. The application process involves strong chemicals and fumes - pregnant women are advised not to use acrylic nails during pregnancy. Pros of Gel Nails Gel nails may look more natural and glossy than other types of cosmetic nails. The curing time is faster than acrylics. Gel nail mixtures lack the fumes associated with acrylic nails - they're considered a safer, more eco-friendly option. Cons of Gel Nails They don't last as long and are less durable than acrylic, even though they tend to cost more. Most gel nails require a UV light for curing, so they're harder to do at home. If a gel nail breaks, you may be in for some trouble. It can sometimes be more of a shatter effect than a clean break, so self-fixing a break is not usually an option. You'll need to make an appointment right away with your manicurist. Gel nails often need to be filed off, although there are some soak-off versions.

Read more

I'd go for gel nails as they look more natural and glossy compared to acrylic nails. I also noticed that the process for applying gel nails is faster which is good because I get restless easily. Moreover, gel nail mixtures lack the fumes associated with acrylic nails - they're considered a safer, more eco-friendly option. Plus, they seem to last longer which is always useful if you do alot of housework like dish washing.

Read more

There are home gel nail polish brands like those from IsaoDora and Sally Hansen that do not require UV lights for curing. You can just use natural light or whatever lights you have at home and it sets the nail polish just fine. I've been using them alot these days and they last pretty well (more than a week). Because of this new convenience, I'd say gel nails over acrylic nails any time, any day!

Read more
VIP Member

Gel nails will be better as it's less harmful for your actual nails. The removing process is also easier without much damage to your actual nails. But do remember to give your nails a 'break' from all these polishes. Constant application will cause the nails to turn yellow due to lack of oxygen and sunshine.

Read more

I always opt for gel over acrylic. In the process for acrylic nails, they really file down your nails which is not good for them at all! Gel is much cheaper and is also long lasting. I get bored easily with nail designs, so I prefer gel which I get done every 2-3 weeks :)

thanks