Can I use hair colour during pregnancy?

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Most doctors would say yes -- there's no good proof that the chemicals in hair dye cause birth defects, miscarriages, or any other pregnancy complications, and it's probably fine to dye your hair a couple of times during pregnancy. That said, there are also no studies that confirm that these products are totally safe (after all, who would volunteer?), which is why experts recommend taking precautions like waiting until the second or third trimester -- when most of baby's major organs have finished forming -- and opting for vegetable dyes and semipermanent color (hues that wash out after about a month), which usually don't contain harsh chemicals like ammonia or peroxide. If you're still worried, consider getting highlights, which aren't applied directly to the scalp and are therefore less likely to be absorbed by your body. And if you're coloring your hair at home, remember to wear latex gloves to keep the chemicals off your skin. Don't leave the product on any longer than necessary. If you are really worried, wait till you have delivered.

Read more

as almost everyone else said, there is no medical proof that using a hair colour while you are pregnant will directly affect your unborn baby, but i would still say that it is best if you wait till you are done with breastfeeding. hair colours definitely contain some chemicals that come in contact with your skin, and even if a tiny bit of this enters your blood stream, why to take the risk? as this is not an urgent treatment or procedure, you can wait for a few more months, at least that is what i feel :) here are a few links that say that while there is no direct proof of harm, there may actually be some reason to be wary http://www.webmd.com/baby/features/pregnancy-hair-care#1 http://www.today.com/style/mom-be-tress-stress-here-s-truth-about-hair-dye-t6246

Read more

I dyed my hair twice at a neighborhood hair saloon while i was pregnant and it didn't affect me or the baby. But things might react differently with other people. I had a friend who dyed her hair ash blonde and her baby was born with ash blonde hair! But after they cut off all the baby's hair, it grew to a darker colour :)

Read more

Yes you can as long as you avoid the roots so the chemicals will not seep into your system. Instead of full hair colour, you can opt for highlights as these are usually done away from the roots. If you are still wary about the chemicals in normal hair dyes, opt for organic brands or henna.

Yes you can. Let the salon know that you are pregnant and they will usually recommend organic or non-chemical dye. The results is similar to normal dye but just more expensive. I did coloring throughout my pregnancy and my baby came out healthy.

Read more
VIP Member

There's still no proof that indicate the danger of dyedyour hair to the fetus. But i think for your safety, why not postponed it until the baby born? There are many ways to stay chic during pregnancy without changing your hair colour :)

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-3297)

I dyed my hair during my 2nd tri at an organic hair salon, using organic dyes. The stylist was also aware of my pregnancy and tried to avoid my roots. You can also try henna.

I dyed my hair twice when I was preg. 1st and 3rd trimester respectively. I opted for Low ammonia or ammonia- free hair colour. My boy turned out fine.

thanks