Can breastfeeding mums take panadol?

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Drugs taken by breastfeeding mother may pass into milk through her blood stream in very small amount. Panadol, which is the common brand name for paracetamol, is quite save to take while breastfeeding when taken as directed. If possible avoid breastfeeding for 1 - 2 hours after the consumption to minimise the amount to baby.

Read more

A GP i went to recently told me that there is nothing wrong for breastfeeding mothers to consume panadol when we are unwell. I guess it shouldnt be a big deal since we're not consuming large amounts of it. But then again, please consult your own GP for proper clarifications

It's okay but not encouraged. There's a feature on this app about medicines where you can check if it's safe for you and your baby. I find it useful!

Yes, you can take paracetamol. Only a small amount gets into your breastmilk and it's unlikely to harm your baby.

VIP Member

Over the counter medications are usually safe for us to use, as mentioned by a gp that i went

It’s okay, if you really need to take do take. But pls don’t have it on a regular basis.

VIP Member

Try not to breastfeed direct right after taking panadol until 2-3 hours later

VIP Member

Try to consult your gyne about it. Usually one dosage for 2-3 days is ok.

TapFluencer

Yes, paracetamol is usually safe. I took it when breastfeeding

Yes. Try to minimize and take only when necessary.