Ask the Expert Series: Breastfeeding

Start asking away, if you have questions all about breastfeeding, as our expert Dr Tan Yia Swam will be answering your questions on breastfeeding ??

Ask the Expert Series: Breastfeeding
38 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Expert

Thank you everyone for the questions- I hope this community finds my answers of some use. Take care, and enjoy this time with your baby :) Goodnight!

Read more

I do not latch my baby, but i express my milk regularly about 7-8 times per day. But i often get clogged ducts. Why is this so? What would u advise?

4y ago

I would feel throbbing pain on my affected breast. Since i dont latch, i would pump and very little milk would be expressed, unlike the normal times if i were to pump. I tried hand express, warm compress etc, but it still hurts. Like u also mentioned, i can feel lumps on the affected breast. What do u suggest in order to prevent recurring clogged ducts?

VIP Member

How to differentiate between milk blister and candidiasis? It doesnt seem to recover even with treatment for 5 days ( candidiasis)

4y ago

A milk blister is a tiny "bubble" of milk trapped at the milk duct opening. Remedies include letting baby latch, warm compress,or just being brave and burst it! I use a sterile needle in clinic to pop it. Candidiasis is a fungal infection- this should be assessed by a doctor, and antifungal ointment may be needed.

Why does breastmilk have different smell and taste everyday? Recently it smell like vomit and taste alittle dry after

4y ago

Does salt and msg in instant noodle ve transported into bm?

Super Mum

How would my milk supply be affected if I get pregnant again? Can I still breastfeed my child when I'm pregnant?

4y ago

BF decreases the chance of pregnancy- so if you are actively trying for another baby, consider weaning. Having said that, if you are "leaving it to chance", by all means just try while BF. Once pregnant, see a OBGNY . If it's normal, healthy pregnancy, it is safe to BF all throughout. There have been mummies who tandem feed, ie. feed two babies of different ages at the same time.

What are the safer painkillers we can take besides arcoxia and paracetamol for breastfeeding? Is ponstan okay?

4y ago

Panadol is safest. Arcoxia is a "newer" medicine, and I would advise against taking it. Ponstan is "older" and is safer to use. Synflex, Ibuprofen are also some of the older ones, and safe to use. Unfortunately, all other opoids (morphine based types) are not safe!

Super Mum

What are the chances of breast fibroadenomas turning into breast cancer? Does breastfeeding reduce the risk?

4y ago

Thank you!

How to make our breast more milk for breastfeed....im 1 month but my milk still little.

My friend's lump turned out to be cancer during her pregnancy, I'm scared my lump is a cancer.

4y ago

Most breast cancers are still in women above 50. If you develop a lump during pregnancy, do get it checked out, just to be sure. Most times, it will be something benign, eg: cyst, fibroadenoma, milk cyst! Consider making an appointment with us at Thomson Breast centre 6252 5535 or email: [email protected]

What are the common breastfeeding complications I should look out for after pregnancy?