Possible to see an empty gestational sac during ultrasound at 6 weeks?

Based on my last menstrual period, I should be at my 6 weeks now. However, during my scan yesterday at 5 + 6 weeks its shows an empty gestational sac with no yolk or fetal pole. Doctor says that the gestational sac indicates that 99% baby is in the womb and not an ectopic pregnancy. But I can’t help but feel very very anxious before my next scan on 25th! This is my first baby.

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My gestational sac was empty during my very first scan too and my gynae couldn’t find the baby through abdominal scan. I was 5 weeks plus pregnant then. He said probably the baby was hiding below the uterus. Went back to check another 2 weeks later and couldn’t find baby still through the scan, but the sac grew bigger. Again he said the baby should be hiding below and can’t be seen. During the 9th week I went for the scan again and finally we manage to see the little human begin waving it’s little arm and the flickering heartbeat. True enough, this little one was hiding at the bottom of the uterus. Now I’m 33 weeks pregnant. 😊 Your baby could be hiding somewhere so don’t worry. As long as you’re still feeling morning sickness symptoms, you should be fine.

Read more