Growth spurt?

Hi, my baby just turned 4 weeks. Starting from third week, he will start crying and getting fussy 1.5 hrs after the last feed. He will display hunger cues when we tap on his mouth. Currently, he drinks about 80ml and is on BM (bottle fed). He is also very clingy and will only sleep well when being held Can I check if any of you experience the same with your baby? Is it growth spurt? Worried that he is not sleeping well because of other reasons.

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Oh i faced this for the first three, four months. Growth spurt, comfort, colic, heaty la cold la everything! but mostly i suspected comfort. Babies just left a warm womb and been auto feeding so its tough for them to adapt to our world haha. They are more aware now that they are not inside anymore so panic sets in around the one month mark. Also breastmilk digests super fast under 90 mins so yes its pretty normal to be hungry faster since baby stomach would be holding more milk now as compared to the first couple weeks. I mean the stomach can only expand so much so u slowly explore the frequency of feeds instead of increasing so much and expecting longer periods in between. I mean i cant eat a breakfast buffet and skip my lunch u know, so babies operate similarly hahaha I gave in to holding baby for whenever she needed me to nap or comfort but it comes at a price (mental and physical freedom). But i can safely say at around six months my baby is finally able to sleep without contact naps(rocking, holding) in the morning and afternoons and sleep longer stretches at night with little contact. It gets better i promise 🥺 All u have to do is meet the needs consistently e.g. hunger, anxiety, nap, communication etc throughout and even after of course. It's just biology for babies to want their mothers close. I still do alot of skin to skin until now. Suddenly miss my baby when she was a few weeks old 🥲😭

Read more

My bb only 2w+ and already experiencing growth spurt.. currently she drinks 100ml (she was on 90ml few days back). and yes very clingy to my nanny and only sleep well when being held, my nanny told me it is normal at this stage but try not to give in so much. What i notice is when i feed after shower, she can sleep longer and looks very comfortable!

Read more