New born baby drink formula milk

My baby boy is 6days old, we feed him every 3hours, most of the times he only drink 30-40ml milk, only 1-2 times drink 50ml milk. I am concern and worried about his feeding, wondering is it normal? I intend to prepare the formula milk and keep in vacuum flask, will the nutrition of the milk went off or reduced? Does any mummy encountered this problem before?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Hi, how heavy’s your baby? At 6 days old, the volume actually sounds okay because baby’s stomach is still small. Some babies will drink more, and some will drink less. The general formula is for baby to drink at least 150ml/kg/day, and you divide it across the number of feeds. At this age, I wouldn’t stick strictly to 3hrs, but rather, feed on demand, especially during all the growth spurts. I would usually prepare the correct volume of water in the milk bottle, and the correct amount of milk powder in the milk powder storage container/dispenser, then when baby’s ready to drink, pour the powder into the bottle, shake and feed baby?

Read more
4y ago

Thanks for your advice Cherlyn, now I still sticking on making the milk on the spot and his drinking amount is not too constant. Sometimes drink more and less, I think it should be normal 😊😊

if u intend to prepare formula in advance, u should keep it in the fridge. consume within 24hrs.

4y ago

not recommended though, put in fridge is to keep it cool, slow/prevent bacteria growth