At what age did you take your baby to the swimming pool for the first time?

22 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I only started taking my kids there after 18 months as they will enjoy more and at the same time easier to take care. Public pools, especially indoor ones, like those found in hotels or community centers and gyms, are often over-chlorinated. Ever notice how your eyes get a little big redder, or burn a little more if you open them underwater at an indoor pool? This is due to chlorine, which everyone, children or adults, may tolerate differently. For some young children, including infants, there are studies that show a slightly higher risk of respiratory illnesses like bronchiolitis or pneumonia due to exposure to respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), which may be associated with swimming pools. You just have to take note and observe the kids.

Read more

I brought my son to his first swim class when he was about 6 months old. I came across Little Splashes during the January 2016 Babyfair at Expo and decided to sign up for a trial package with them. If I remembered correctly, it's $40 for the trial. I didn't find the location particularly convinient since I don't drive nor have my own transport but I was very pleased to know that it was actually an indoor heated swimming pool. My son enjoyed it a lot, and so did my daughter who tagged along. The instructors are really friendly and attentive and they are strict (with the older kids). They have packages of 10 lessons or adhocs - which I chose to do since I don't have a fixed "free" weekend that I can bring my kids there.

Read more
VIP Member

I took him to public swimming pool when he about 10 months. People starring at us because he is so litle. One man even come to us and give advice not to bring a baby to public swimming pool for healthy reason. But we believe in him and he is healthy enough for this. Thank god, nothing happen :)

I took my baby to the swimming pool when she was around 4 months. Just make sure you have the proper gear such as a good swim suit and floaters if necessary. Also make sure your child isn't sick or it isn't a particularly cold or damp day.

My son's first pool experience was when he was 12 months old. It was a night swimming and the water was really cold. I saw him really enjoying, splashing the water all over. His dad was there to assist him and teach some tricks.

I took my baby for a trial swimming class at AquaDucks (Turf City) when she was 6 months old. The place is semi-sheltered and it's a heated pool for babies. http://www.aquaducks.com.sg/site/index.php/locations/turf-city/

I took my boy when he was 3 months old. He freaked out the first time despite his love for water. it got better subsequently. and now he always wants to jump in the pool. he is almost a year old now.

2mths old. We did a staycation and brought our 2 month old daughter to swim every morning. She enjoyed it alot and was able to have a very long nap after.

I took my child swimming when she was 2 years old. Besides holding her in the water, she had a pair of adorable arm floats which can be found anywhere online! :-)

Post reply image

My sister-in-law brought my nephew to the Tampines Safra Pool (the kids pool by the side) when my nephew was 14 months. Just a short session and he loved it.