Glucose tolerance test

Anyone took glucose tolerance test already? Can please let me know what should I prepare? 😅 i read in some post you could vomit the moment u finish the drink and have to come back another day😳😳 My gynae asked me to take when I reach 24 weeks.

18 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

its a vert sweet thick liquid like orange fructose u have to drink. cosnits too sweet u may feel like puking but just try to gulp.down a few mouths or sip. than u have to wait an hour to take blood test so go for a walk or just take rest 1 hr will pass quickly. After 1st bloodbtesr must wait another hour amd take blood test again. you only drink the glucose drink once. After that don't consume anything else. Try to go for this test earlier in the mornings. Keep a sandwich withbu in bag so after the 2nd blood test u can eat something. Congrats and good Luck.

Read more

The liquid doesn’t taste that horrible, it’s just very sweet. Totally manageable to finish it in under 5 minutes. Take deep breaths between sips, relax and don’t think about vomiting. Also try not to move around too much in between tests. Heard there’re people who failed the test not because they vomited, but they fainted from feeling weak / dizzy due to overnight fasting. The nurses at my gynae clinic insisted that I sat down and wait there throughout. Good luck, mummy!

Read more

yes yes! it tasted like fanta orange if you know this carbonated drink, but with more sugar syrup. haha! i felt like vomiting because of the little bit of soda in it and have to gulp down to finish it (around 300ml) within 5 minutes, and i can take small sips of water! the nurse also told me that if i vomit that day, every tubes of blood taken 3 intervals (0hrs, 1hr, 2hr) will be wasted, so dont vomit !

Read more
Post reply image

OGTT meaning no food from 8pm onwards till you are done with the test next day. You are only allowed plain water. You will have 3 x test at interval of 1 hr. Yes, when you vomit, you will be requested to come back and do again. Before the first draw of test you will be given glucose drink to finish up.

Read more

first the nurse will take blood from u. then after that u need to drink the very sweet orange drink. then need to wait for 3hrs. then they will take ur blood again after that. i failed, because i got twins, and usually twin pregnancies will have tendency to get gestational diabetes.

I was given a chilled lemon lime one which was honestly not bad tasting. It was thick and gave me a slight sore throat after that. I actually brought my own straw and I’m glad I did cos it helped a lot in making sure I drank the drink at a pace comfortable for me.

1y ago

Wow own straw! I shall try this trick too😝

When i took my glucose test twice i vomited alot through out the test till the nurses gave up and i did gave up after that. Diff ppl diff it depends on gender n individuals... becoz they put med inside the glucose water its orange flavor

It’s actually not that bad at first I also scared will vomit. One thing I learnt was to request for chilled Glucose syrup as it won’t taste as bad. Non-chilled ones can be more awful. Try to pace yourself ;)

N this is thing i took it recently also becoz im having my son inside my tummy back then when im having my dotter i did not vomit when i drank the glucose syrup thing... she likes sweeet things but my son he dont like the taste...

haha actually I drank quite fast because I wan to faster finish it .. aft finishing felt like vomiting I think Bcus didn’t eat and feel nauseous haha Idts is Bcus of that drink .