Hi my 8 month old is on a fluid strike. He doesn't want milk or water. His wet nappies are getting lesser. What should I do?

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

How about giving him more soupy solids? Also agree on topping up with fruits for the time being . And try feeding him milk or water with spoon or sippy/straw Cup instead? Sometimes they love the novelty of drinking from something new. My nephew often doesn't want to drink his milk these days and our maid realized that putting him in the bouncer to drink milk is better than carrying him. Maybe you can try that? How much milk is he drinking now? There will be periods when baby will drink lesser milk but not to the extent totally reject fluids.

Read more

It's not easy when our LO goes on milk/water strike. Maybe you can try to feed him using a syringe or spoon or cup more frequently throughout the day? If you're comfortable with giving cold food, you can make ice lollies (puree fruits with some water) or smoothie. Make sure you watch out for signs of dehydration. Hope this is just a short strike phase for him.

Read more

Try anything water based. For me if lo is in such a state, ill do everything i can even if that means juices, syrup drinks or ice cream. I agree with the mums, main point is to advoid getting dehydrated. Also introducing new bottles, sippy cups or straw bottles might work as well. If he refuses milk, try coconut water? At least he has liquid.

Read more

Is he being rushed when drinking? Who is looking after him? Maybe can try to change the bottles or replace the teat (look for one with more holes for easier drinking per the specified age group) that he is being fed with?

VIP Member

More soups, juice and water to prevent dehydration. You can try to feed before and after meal times. Also try to sneak in milk during his feed - add milk to the purées. He might be rejecting due to teething

VIP Member

its a phase and it will be over in no time...theres a way to trick him though...put the pacifier into his mouth and once he calms down quickly switch it with the bottle....worked wonders for me

Still offer him his bottle or breast milk and maybe mix some of it in his food too

try nyo po painumin ng milk while sleeping..

How about giving fruits or soup ?

VIP Member

Try milk popsicles?