my 4yo accidentally hit me with his toy yesterday but he refused to apologise. when hubby ask him to say it, he starts crying. We do make sure that we apologise to him if we wrongly blame or hurt him. Any idea?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My 5 years old cry too when she did something wrong like hitting me accidentally. I normally let her cry out loud first before I approach her to talk about the action. After awhile I realised, she does understand she is in wrong but worry she might get scolding from us or worry she indeed hurt me badly that's why she cried. After a few sessions of such incidents where we allow her to cry out loud first before we talk to her over the action, request for apologies from her and hug to make up. She does not cry anymore and was readily accepting the facts she did something "wrong" even though she don't mean it and apologise to me. However, every child is different; you might need to find your method that work with your child.

Read more
VIP Member

Different child have different ways of getting them to apologies. Start soft and slow with him. Explain to him why saying sorry is needed. If he doesnt say sorry, mummy will feel hurt and sad about his actions.