hearing

My 3months old baby doesn't not turn her head to sound. But when her focus is on me and i talk to her, she will respond. She get startled by loud sound when she is sleeping as well. But when she is wake and there are loud sounds, she ignore them completely. Is this something I should be concern. She passed her hearing test at birth. My worry is that her ear drum may be affected as I always shout loudly at my toddler while carrying her.

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

My LO was like this. I feel that it's selectively earring. When I play with my LO she focus. When brought her to poly and check up she dun response to bell rings and rattles. Now she is 7 months old. But cannot remb when, even the open door sound, she will turn her head to the open door. Amazing right ? Which is at least 3 meters away from her.

Read more

I think it is just selective. My LO is the same as well. I had two niece and nephew back at home, so when they are playing and screaming beside her, my LO can still be sleeping peacefully, but even the slightest sound such as opening the bedroom door could wake her up when she is in the living room.

Super Mum

You can bring her for another hearing assessment at the polyclinic or PD if you’re concerned. At 3 months, being startled by loud sounds is a reassuring sign. My LO responded more to calling at 4m+

4y ago

Ok.. will monitor..

Super Mum

The startled reflex may be MORO reflex. It’s unlikely for eardrum to be so easily affected by your shouting. Maybe she needs more time. Maybe the next time she has vaccination, you can ask the PD.

VIP Member

Hearing test can be done again if you are worried. As long as you are not shouting right next to baby's ear it should be fine. It could just be selective hearing.

Ear drum will be affected...only if u try dig her ear wax using cotton bud daily. Don't think will affect if shouting

VIP Member

Hmm doesn't sound like a concern, babies develop at different speeds. Pd will do review every visit

VIP Member

You may consider to do another hearing test just to make sure

VIP Member

Maybe she’s just not interested. Don’t worry too much!

4y ago

But she dun turn her head as well when I call her

VIP Member

Should be fine