My 17 months old has been eating porridge and other soft food.. my fault .. first Time Mom and Doesn't really know how to progress him to chewing more chunky food. Each time I try to feed more chunky food, he will gag. Worst scenario is he will gag n vomit . Really at loss of what to do. These few days I'm trying to feed rice and soup . Hope still in time to train him. Very stressful

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I have the same problem and it is really make me stressed too. My LO now 18 months old. If i gave her biscuits she will chew but for food like rice or any other chunky food she will gagged and vomit everything. Don't know what to do to make her more chew and swallow without gagging 😞

U r not alone! Mine spits out even mince meat sometimes.. So i slowly transit her to rice, let her play around wif harder food such as apples.. Cut into small chunks n give her the fork.. She enjoys poking around wif fork.

VIP Member

Don't be too stressed out over it. Instead of a porridge, why don't you try giving him some finger food for him to chew himself? So he is able to control the amount of food he eats and chew at his own pace.

Relax! It will get better. Give baby sometime and slowly transits. No need to rush or feel pressured. Most importantly its at both your pace.

Mine is the other way around. Refused puree food but wants my food.