My 14 mo used to love bathing. My problem was getting her out. Recently she cries whenever we tell her to bathe. On good days she will sit in the bath and still have fun. On bad days she refuses to go into the tub and would throw a big fuss. It is impossible to bathe her during these times coz she goes hysterical and might fall into the water. Anyone experience similar issues? How to make her like bathing again?

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Can you check with your LO what bothers her. Is it the water temperature, the shower head not set on her preference, does she want to bring her favourite toy? Or perhaps you can switch from a bath to a shower. Try to gauge her preference first and then try to make it more fun, like trying to bring in some toys or perhaps you can do some story telling during the bathing process. My kid went through this phase too and I never force him to take shower, unless he is really dirty. On good days that he wants to shower, I let him shower himself. If he wants to do a quick one, I let him be. Eventually, he liked bathing again :-) Good luck and hope this helps :-)

Read more

Sometimes, we allow our boy to pick 1-2 of his existing (waterproof) toys to the bathroom. Explain to him the important to keep his body clean. Praise him as a "clean white train" since he loves trains. Make it interesting by adding bath toys from ikea. We also switch between shower and tub. Now at 35 months, we are facing challenge to bath him and bring him out of bathroom. ;)

Read more
Post reply image

I understand this as my gal goes through the similar issue sometimes. Try to distract & calm her with something new that will interest her like blowing bubbles, let her play with a trickling tap or pass her a wipe cloth to clean herself. If all tricks don't work, I will just give her a quick shower just to make sure she is clean.

Read more

I play game with my baby in the shower I now use less bath tub I just use shower head then play things like suddenly no water and I change her rubber duck into a stick on wall with suction duck so she would be passing with it on the wall

My son went though this as well - we just followed his cues on how he wanted to bathe. At times this meant mummy had to jump in the shower too fully clothed! Bathing books helped too. Fortunately he outgrew the phase in a week or two.

8y ago

I hope she grows out of it soon too!

My boy went through this phase too. What i did was buy a bottle of bottle bath and alot of bathing toys. Play with him outside the bath tub till he is willing to go into the tub himself. Good luck mummy! It will be over soon!

TapFluencer

My boy had this phase too. Now he is willing to bathe but refuse to let me wash his hair. He was fine all along since baby, started to fuss after he attended CC. Yes bathing toys does help.

Maybe bath her standing? Coz when my girl in bad mood i just let her stand and bath and it helps alot.. After a while she insisted of getting into tub coz more fun!

You might wana consider getting some bath toys. Kids love fun splashing with those toys. Thereafter you might have problem getting them out of bath!

try shopping for a water toy with her... let her choose what she wants... i think that will encourage him to shower

8y ago

thank u! we have tried new bath toys and books but they doesn't work. hope she will out grow it soon