things in mouth

My 1 year old son keeps on putting things in his mouth and sometimes we cant control him . I want him to understand what he is allowed and not allowed to do. How can I start teaching him what the rules are?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi Mark, this is an issue all parents face who have young babies. Picking up things and putting them in the mouth is a baby's way of exploring things and understanding more about the surrounding. this is the time when your baby's senses will get heightened, and taste is one such sense. putting it in the mouth helps your baby understnad the texture, whether it can be eaten, hot, cold and so on. of course it is not safe, so the main thing here is that your baby has to be under constant supervision. also, keep removing anything that you don't want your baby to put in the mouth out of reach, especially smaller things and those with pointed edges. and every time your baby does that, gently take it out, shake your head in a NO, and keep it away. keep repeating. you will have to be patient, but eventually baby will learn.

Read more

You cannot literally discipline your kid of the concept of rules at his current age. I agree with Anne, he is still in the process of exploring things. Saying "no" whenever he do something like putting things in his mouth can have no effect on him. Babies can easily be distracted. Playing with him or doing activities that could divert his attention can help. To lessen your worries, just stay him away from the things that could bring harm.

Read more

Generally, kids that age are on an exploration mode. They tend to question things by putting them into their mouths. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't control them. Why? Because this the way they try to discover things. The more they discover, the more the learning. Mouthing is considered a milestone. What you just ought to do is to pick the right toys for your kids and be mindful of the possible choking hazards around him.

Read more