Do your babies have a soft bulge at the back of the head? I heard the soft spot at the back is supposed to harden by 1-2 months but my baby is 6 months old and it looks like it is bulging still.

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It's called the fontanel if I'm not wrong. They look fragile but they are actually very well-protected by a strong membrane. The bones in baby’s skull will build up enough minerals to completely fuse together and those gaps will close. The back fontanel will close first; generally when baby is between 2 to 4 months old. The front will continue to grow well into the second year. It differs from baby to baby though. But the membrane protecting it us pretty sturdy so I reckon there's nothing to worry about.

Read more

If it is bulging, I would think that it would be good to check with the doctor. The soft spot at the back would usually close by 4 months. Soft spot usually look kind of flat or a little sunken. Perhaps you can check with your doctor at the next checkup.

VIP Member

Back of the head? Overall. Baby skull is still very soft. It will only harden once they turn 2 year old

back of the head i don't know. but if you meant on the top it's the fontanel.