Why are babies so into stairs climbing or anywhere they see people can go up and down?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I don't think it's because the stairs attracts them, but mainly because they're huge copycats! Then they'd realized that views are different and it's fun to see the adults' reactions. This was what my daughter explained to our 6 year old neighbour after they saw her brother trying to get down a flight of stairs after being told not to. Having said that, do guide your child to put his feet down first before moving down the steps so that he wouldn't trip!

Read more

Agree with Nooraini! They operate on a i-see-therefore-i-do basis because at that age, their minds and bodies are developing and everything seems new and utterly fascinating to them. Stairs and staircases are excellent ways for them to explore and try out new things -- visually and mentally, the idea of going up and down surfaces excites them. Best to supervise and make sure they don't hurt themselves though.

Read more

Hi mummy, To me, it's not the stairs but basically anything that moves will attract babies. In fact, this is good as it will helps in their motor skills. The only thing as mummies that we need to do is to educate them. We teach them the right and wrong and guide them so that they do not fall.

Read more
VIP Member

When children develop a new skill or see potential to do something they cannot do, it drives them to try and copy what they see. It is a good thing that your baby is trying to develop their skills. this also helps strengthen their body, don't forget- some falls are good. Its a learning curve.

Haha, they like to poke into your eyes, pull your hair, blabber loudly, its all because it's whole new world for them, they want to climb, snatch and pull anything and everything

Babies are naturally curious, and as they begin to develop their cognitive skills, they would want to explore the world around them--including places they shouldn't be in.

Because they're tiny suicide machines! I think the answer is just that they're curious and they want to explore. Make sure that you watch your baby carefully!

They're li'l monkeys, cute monkeys. And cats, copy cats. They love to do what they see you doin heh And they're adorable