Recommend me which Early Intervention should I go?

Which Child Development hosp or centre can any1 recommend ? My son was heavily recommended from his childcare school for EI. I request a memo from his school. I believe he may display different behaviour at home & school. The memo written only 50% accurate. He is 3yrs old this yr, most children at his class were smart. Able to read from storybooks. Sometimes I feel that the school trying to push him out of that Centre. Set aside. I choose to visit poly and waiting for referral. I hope I'm choosing the right diagnosis centre for him. What happen if he is diagnosed w Austism/Adhd? Can he go onto normal pri/sec school in the near future? Or must he attain a special school from now on meaning will his current school kick him off from the current centre if his diagnose is confirm? He can no longer go into a normal childcare centre?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I'm in this industry for 13 years and I can assure you 3 year olds are not expected to read a book 😅 they can show interest in the pictures or story, but they are not expected to read and identify the words at that age. It's more of identifying the letters of the alphabet and if possible, letter sounds too. Maybe you can discuss with the school or teacher and ask if there are any other concerns with regards to his learning, or why did they choose to observe his reading at the age of 3. Maybe they could share more? And not being able to read does not directly corelate to having autism/adhd, so don't worry about it yet! I hope you can have a conversation with the school with regards to this and get a proper explanation from them, because to my knowledge, not reading at 3 does not mean that he needs to go for EI. If he cannot identify letters yet, maybe you can enrol him in those I Can Read classes to start him early. But not EI. The school is not even supposed to suggest that, not unless they've observed other behaviours that they've not shared with you yet. So best to speak to them and find out more!

Read more

Hi, yes from my knowledge, many children in mainstream schools with mild autism and adhd. For adhd if more serious can chose to medicate.. but no issues for going to school. If diagnosed, will be given extra time during exams/tests to complete the paper! But do get a proper diagnosis first! Your child may not be on the spectrum or have adhd in the first place… teachers can observe but not qualified to give diagnosis. ◡̈

Read more

go polyclinic or kkh they'll assign a therapist to ask u and the school things n observe child etc. usually it won't be diagnosed this early, but any behavioural issue can be highlighted and teachers can work w therapist to make school a more inclusive place. I've seen children who are diagnosed special needs attending normal preschool plus awwa all the way till they graduate. primary school will depend on diagnosis.

Read more

I’m not a pro, but your child is still able to enter normal primary school, unless his condition is so bad.

I'm sorry to ask, childcare base on what recommended your son for EI? my boy is 4 years old, he can't read yet.

5mo ago

I never ecpect my 4-year-old able to read. I didn't even emphasize learning ABC or 123. This preschool is definitely not a place for children.

it's true. the school trying to push him out