When can I bring my baby to public Swimming pool?

24 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It is advised to introduce your baby into a public swimming pool after 6 months old. But I've brought my kid to the public pool at 1 year old immune system is stronger. Any younger , I'm just afraid that the water might be too cold for the baby and also the noises and activity will scare the baby. To prepare your baby for swimming, you can first try submerging your baby’s body in a tub at home while supporting his/her head. This is to get them comfortable with being submerged with their faces out of the water. Alternatively, if baby can't wait to be in the pool. You can consider swimming schools that specifically caters to infants and children. Located in the completely weather-proof indoors, the pool is heated to a comfortable 30 degrees celsius and equipped with a salt chlorinator. http://www.aquabambinos.com.sg/

Read more

I started really young with my kids. I feel that it'll help to build up their water confidence and immune system faster. so to speak. not too often though. we used to just sit at v the side and get her splashing... 4 months old. .. they love the water now and both can swim. I used to teach swimming at a swim school and we took in babies as early as 6 months with mommies visiting the public pools often enough besides going for swim classes. but then again is all up to you. a little bit of splashing here and there won't hurt your baby. just like how a little bit of rain won't hurt too.. hehe! ! it's really up to you. =)

Read more

My baby was 4 months old when she started swim lessons. She loved being in the water from the very onset. Every week we see older babies join the class but most cry uncontrollably the moment they enter the pool, because they're not used to the water. They end up having to leave the pool because they won't calm down. Apparently studies have shown that babies lose that natural affinity with water after 6-9 months so probably best to start earlier.

Read more

It is best to bring baby to public swimming pool when baby's immune system is stronger, i.e. after 1 year old. If your baby is younger than 1 year old, you can bring baby to babyspa for a dip or purchase a baby swimming tub at home which is more economical.

We brought ours when she's around 6 months. Before that, our bathtub is her "pool". Start early so they will not resist or fear going into the water when they grow older. Just have to sit in the pool with them & splash around. Each session may not be Long.

It's dependent on your comfort level. When we asked the PD during our last check up, she suggested that too at least wait until the baby is taking semi-solids. That way her tummy won't be too sensitive to the chlorine if she happens to swallow any.

i would recommend after 1.5 yo. i tried to bring my elder gal to swim at 8mths old. she got the virus from swimming pool and had high fever cum runny nose for a week. from then, i waited for her immune to be strong before she can swim again.

Actually its very subjective. I dont want to expose them to chlorine till after One. Studies show that Chorine has potential health effects. I rather be safe than sorry. My two cent.

VIP Member

Brought #1 when he was abt 6mths old for swim lesson in a condo. And #2 to public pool at 5mths plus... Both loves water!

I started bringing my elder son to the public pool at 6 months old.. I'll be doing the same for my younger one..