when is the best earliest age for kids to learn or attend formal music lessons?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Kindermusik offers music and movement from newborn to 18 months under Village programme and progress to Our Time after finish the first stage. My friend is the owner of Kindermusik with Love studio and is highly recommended.http://www.kindermusikwithlovestudios.com.sg/programmes My daugther joined their program when she was 18 months old and she likes it a lot. There are different types of instruments used during the class, to teach rhythms, beats, and etc. The teacher is very creative, e.g. using normal items to create sounds. My girl even create her own musical sound at home using 2 lego duplo blocks. For formal music lessons, it is recommended to start when the child is matured enough to take instructions, so it should be around 5 years old. Yamaha Music School, Cristofori, Magic Fiddler, Music For Young and etc. has piano music program.

Read more

I have always thought that the earlier the better. Now that I have a daughter, it doesn't work that way anymore. I realized that it's her readiness and interest to do things that matter. If she likes to do it and she's ready for it, then I don't even have to force her. Know the child's interest and readiness. If at 2 she's interested and ready to play the violin, then why not? :)

Read more
8y ago

that's my dilemma right now. My toddler seems to want to play everything, piano drums violin oboe I guess we just need to help her decide which is which.

ideally it should be around 3-4years old as they will be able to listen and follow instructions. their ability to understand and comprehen is important. anything earlier will just be allowing them to arouse the interest.

Read more

For me, if they give signs on what they would like to learn. I guess it depends on the child. There are children who shows interest at the age of 2 and some at 5. Parents will surely know when they're ready.

4 years old in a group class