Birthday gift for helper

What would you give your helper on her birthday? Mine has been with me for 3 years, and I adore her. Thinking of the budget, and what to get her. Suggestions please! #maid #fdw #helper #birthday

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

With the $50-$80 Budget, I would say a mani/pedi or a massage treat! I guess it really depends in your relationship with your helper and how much you are able to give her. My helper is getting married so I bought her a $150 dress. The year before I gave her a $20 Ang pow, and Loccitaine hand cream because she has dry hands from the housework! And of course a cake!

Read more

I look at what her needs are - I've bought her a phone before, when hers was dying. I've bought clothes / shoes (with her input). I sometimes give ang bao directly - sometimes earmarking it for, say, a project that she's doing with her house back in the Philippines - e.g. that's for a stronger fence, or roofing that won't leak.

Read more

Most of my friends buy a birthday cake for helper and celebrate with her. Also, some of them give a small token of ang bao for their helper, about $10-20. You can also ask her what present she would like to receive for her birthday, by listing down a few items for you to choose from.

VIP Member

Of course there will be a cake, the gift will be a necklace or bracelets from Taka jewellery or Citigems, to pamper them. As they won't bear to buy this, hence they will be happy to receive, of course that depend on your helper too, as my previous helper is very happy receiving it.

Invest in her: the best money I ever spent might be the cookery course we sent our maid on - she really loves to cook, so this was not an insult! It is a gift she can capitalize with future employment, and one that pays me back every meal or treat she cooks

Yes, cash gift will go a long way. But the happiness of opening a wrapped token, no matter what the content is, surely is bliss as well. For me, practical gifts are good, including: undies, blouse, wallet or cellphone.

I think clothes/ shoes would be best since she would really use them. Better yet I think get a relatively cheap gift then give her a decent bonus so she can decide what she wants the money :) Just think practicality.

I usually will buy a cake and give her a red packet about $30. Sometimes will bring her for dinner and have her fav food on her birthday.

I don't have a helper but I think best way is red packer. But don't give too much $10 to $20 will do. she can buy something herself.

You can't go wrong with a cash gift -- no matter what the amount, I reckon she will appreciate it :)